Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Long Awaited Journey


Three and a half years ago my life was changed forever after I spent 52 days working with orphans in the Philippines.  While preparing for this trip I knew that my life was going to change, but I wasn’t prepared for the extent to which it was about to change.  The Bible teaches us that we are to care for orphans.  I read these verses and felt convicted to help.  Perhaps I had always felt this way, but I didn’t know what it really meant to love the brokenhearted and care for the orphan.  But after my 52 days in the Philippines I understood good and well what the Bible was talking about and what God was teaching me.  The message is simple: There are children in need; Go help them. 

                This simple revelation, go help them, changed my life and propelled me to move to Louisville where I could learn more about missions and what my options are for service to God.  Along the way I discovered Ninth and O Baptist Church, which has helped me to grow in my faith in ways that I had never grown before.  I would not be where I am today without this church.  Louisville also brought me to Southern Seminary, where I was blessed to spend a year studying under some of the best professors in the world. 

                After a year of full time studies, I stepped away from Southern and began teaching full time.  At first I was uncertain of this path, but now I know that it was the right one.  I felt that God had called me to work with orphans, with the poor, with those who so desperately need God.  So why would God put me at Valor? And why am I working with children who are living in abundance?  Well, their abundance is nothing without the wonderful salvation that God brings.  My students are a blessing to me and I hope that I am a blessing to them as well.  They are my mission field.  It is my job not only to teach them geography and grammar, but how to live lives that are pleasing to God.  Furthermore, I can tell them about the things that I have seen and the lessons that I have learned in hopes that someday they would be inspired to help others in need.  I need to remember that God is my focus and bringing Him glory is my foremost task no matter where He has put me. 

                And so here I am, 3 ½ years later, living in Louisville, feeling completely blessed, surrounded by loving friends, and learning as much as I can about God.  For the past 3 ½ years I have also been praying that God would provide me with another opportunity to work with orphans.  I don’t really care if this opportunity is here in the states or overseas, short term or long term, as long as I am going.  And now God has answered my prayers.  In November Ninth and O announced that our church would be taking a short term trip to a ministry in Ethiopia called ‘Eyes That See.’  And about 5 seconds after the trip was announced I knew that I was going.  I was an answer to my prayer.  I just knew right away that I was going.  The trip is in October and will require me to take about 2 weeks off work in the middle of the school year, but I am going.  The trip is really expensive, and is far beyond my means to go, but God will provide. 

The trip is 8 months and 6 days away and I am impatiently awaiting the day when the plane takes off.  I am praying for the kids, the workers, and the country as I wait.  I am praying for me.  I am praying for my team (whom I have yet to meet).  I am praying for my parent’s nerves. I am praying for the funding to come through.  I am praying for my class next year that I will have to abandon for 2 weeks.  But mostly I am praying that God will use this opportunity for His glory and that He will use me in whatever way pleases Him and that He will give me direction for my life after this trip.  I am praying that God will intervene and use me because I am nothing without Him.

So here we are at the beginning of a new story.  Which will be so brief, yet requires preparation that will take so long.  If you love me and would like to be a part of my story, then please pray for me as I walk this road.  I am not afraid to go overseas as long as I know I have people praying for me here.  So please, if you want to be a part of my journey, pray.  My journey will truly be impossible without prayer.  I don’t know many details about my trip yet, but if you want to know more keep checking this blog. 

“Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the Fatherless; plead the case of the widow.”  Isaiah 1:17
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment