Sunday, May 30, 2010

Orchestras and Orphanages


Today is my last day at my church, and my last day teaching children's church. I am going to miss these kids so much! I brought my laptop in and showed the kids pictures of the Philippines and the orphanage where I will be working. I hope they were able to understand at least a little of what I was telling them about my missions trip and the kids who I am going to help. Keep in mind my students are aged 4-6. Here is a little of how our conversation about my mission trip went.
Me: Do you know what an orphanage is?
Jackson: Oh I do. Its like when a bunch of people get together and they all play their instruments at the same time.
Me: Well actually that's an orchestra. An orphanage is where kids can live when they don't have any parents, or if their parents can't take care of them.
Kaden: I live in an orphanage!
Me: No Kaden, you live with your parents. I want to show you some pictures of the Orphanage I am going to be going to next week.
Marybeth: In Africa!
Me: Nope in the Philippines. Miss Jeri is going to Africa, I'll show you where that is too.
Kaden: I went to the Philippines once!
And so began our conversation of the Philippines, orphans and missions. The more pictures we looked at and the more we talked it became obvious that the little wheels inside their little heads were turning. They were very interested in this place I was going and begged me to bring them back pictures of giant whales and sharks.
Next week, when I get to the Philippines I'll be meeting new little ones to chat with and care for. Though I haven't been there yet, I know that there is one thing I can count on: Kids are kids no matter what side of the planet you are one. I hope that spending time with the kids there will remind me of the kids here and be little a little glimpse of home.
I will be on my way in three days. I can't believe how close it is! Luckily I am not too nervous yet. It still feels distant, even though it is only a few days away. Please pray for me these next few days as I am getting ready to leave. I still have many friends and family to tell goodbye. Wednesday, my family will begin the Road trip to Orientation. Then Thursday at 2:30 it all begins!
I want to thank you all again for the love, support and prayers! If you have anything that the girls and I can pray for this summer please let me know. I would love to put a list of prayer requests together for the summer.
Later,
Brittany
"Look around at the nations; look and be amazed! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn't believe even if someone told you about it." Habakkuk 1:5 NLT
P.S. If you ordered my book and don't have it yet let me know. I have two more here that I need to give to people but other than that everyone should have theres. Also I have a few extras if you want one but didn't order one.

2 comments:

  1. This was a really good blog post! It gave me some laughs. I really enjoyed your dialogue with the kids at your church. :) Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the things kids say. We pray for you each Sunday at our church. Will pray for you daily as we pray for the King family.

    ReplyDelete